When menopause arrives, women start to gain weight by eating the same things. They go on strict diets, more hours of cardio, pilates or zumba, but the fat sticks to their body like glue.
Well yes, stepping on 45 years can make us between 5 and 10 kilos more plump and it costs us more to lower them. Suddenly and without anesthesia!
But there are easy, healthy and effective ways to mobilize fat in adult women and lose a few kilos.
Why is it difficult to mobilize fat close to 50 years?
Remember when you were in your 20s or 30s. Unless you had a health condition or hormonal disorders, the formula physical exercises + good nutrition + rest , worked for you to lose weight, sooner or later.
Those were times when your hormones were at their peak. You felt like a Wonder Woman.
But when they turn 50 (sometimes a few years earlier, sometimes later) women face hormonal changes that turn the way they mobilize fat and burn it upside down:
- When estrogen levels drop, cells that store fat are activated.
- your metabolism now it is slower. Meaning, your body burns less fat for energy. Therefore, you gain more weight even if you eat little.
- High insulin generates fat accumulation and prevents it from being mobilized for burning.
- Poor sleep can make you gain weight because hunger and satiety hormones get out of control. In other words, you are hungry all day and nothing fills you up.
- You lose muscle mass because your physical activity decreases. And the less muscle you have, the less fat your body burns.
You should be aware because in many cases when you get on the scale it shows 5 or 6 kg of extra fat, but it could be that you gained 10 kilos of fat and lost 5 of muscle.
Why do I gain weight in areas where fat did not accumulate before?
At no age can the body be manipulated to accumulate more fat in one area than another.
But everything can change during a climacteric, as fat is redistributed differently.
It does not matter if in youth your body was shaped like a pear or an hourglass. It is estimated that 65% of women between the ages of 40 and 59 end up with “tires” around their waist. And how difficult it is to mobilize it!
There are two possible reasons:
- When estrogens drop, testosterone (male sex hormone) rises and it is more likely to accumulate fat in areas where they normally accumulate it (the abdomen).
- Low estrogen also causes body fat to redistribute from the hips, thighs, and buttocks (where it was stored as a fuel reserve for nursing) toward the midsection.
- Stress and poor sleep generate excess cortisol (stress hormone), increasing appetite. And if you overindulge in sweets and fried foods, it is more difficult to mobilize fat in the abdomen.
Supplements to mobilize fat in adult women
Not all the so-called “fat burner” supplements manage to mobilize fat deposits to eliminate them.
And this is crucial, because if your fat remains attached to an area of your body, there will be no way for it to reach the cells to be burned.
Studies have found that conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is one of the best performers of this mission. Not only to mobilize fat accumulated years ago, but to prevent fat deposits from forming again. It also makes it easier for you to tone up when you exercise.
The portal examine.com , one of the largest databases of research on nutrition and supplements, published a study where participants who used CLA significantly reduced total body fat in the trunk, hips, breast, thighs and visceral fat in women (inside the abdomen).
Habits to mobilize fat in adult women
To prevent excess fat from spilling out when you button up your jeans or under the sleeve of your blouse, you can take these steps:
- Take steps like leaving sugar and ultra-processed products.
- Reduce the consumption of trans fats.
- Exercise regularly.
- Try to have a sexually and socially active life.
- Hydrate well with sugar-free drinks.
- Eliminate tobacco and alcohol as much as possible.
Perimenopause and menopause are times of many changes, but if you are patient and take action trusting the process, everything will be easier.
If you want to know more tools to improve your body, your mind and your quality of life, in our blog you have a lot of valuable information, tests and downloadables that can help you.