Science is no longer the only one talking about the benefits of fasting; Artists like Jennifer Aniston and Nicol Kidman made it more fashionable, saying that it is their strategy to be healthier, thinner and more energetic.
Before knowing how to start practicing intermittent fasting , you should know how intermittent fasting impacts in the women.
Because although it has incredible effects on girls and boys, the female body has different reactions than men.
Do not fast right and left. Educate yourself and seek the correct guide (better if it is a doctor), so that it is a satisfactory experience, without discomfort or bodily disorders.
What are the benefits of intermittent fasting for women?
Many fast for health, to burn fat or detoxify their bodies.
But studies have found more reasons why intermittent fasting for women can be a great ally:
- Promotes weight loss and helps accelerate metabolism and oxidation of body fat.
- It prevents signs of aging and disease because it accelerates cellular repair, thanks to autophagy, the body's system for getting rid of waste and repairing itself.
- It can improve blood sugar levels and reduce insulin resistance.
- Reduces the risk of heart attacks, diabetes, among others.
- It can improve stress levels and sleep quality.
- It promotes concentration and mental clarity, perfect for completing all the pending tasks that we girls usually have.
- Limits the growth of cancer cells.
- And much more.
Important: if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, it is not recommended to fast, unless a doctor authorizes it and monitors you.
Can you fast during the menstrual cycle?
Every woman is different, just like every body and every diet are different.
But if something identifies most women, it is that menstrual cycles last 28 days on average.
Janet Garces , dietitian RDN, LD/N, MIEP, recommends that the best time to fast is 1 to 2 weeks away from your period, since the functioning of the hormonal system can sap energy, alter emotions, or even weaken the immune system.
Additionally, during this stage, hormones like estrogen require certain calories from sources like carbohydrates, making fasting more challenging.
Intermittent fasting for women with menopause
Menopause is a natural stage that causes a revolution in hormones and some health conditions in women.
Well, fasting has proven to be able to stop many of them.
It can slow down aging, prevent sarcopenia (loss of muscle mass) and fat that begins to appear in areas that did not accumulate before.
It positively impacts bone health, and can reduce the risks of osteoporosis.
To improve everything, it could promote emotional health, calming mild depression, anxiety and stress that usually occur during the climacteric.
Dangers of fasting incorrectly to lose weight
How to start intermittent fasting should not be taken lightly.
Fasting to achieve a healthy weight, improve health, and have more energy is a good strategy. The bad thing is that many women use it as a complement to a diet low in calories and nutrients to lose weight faster.
If this is your case, STOP. The hours of consuming food are to nourish the body with everything it needs to function well.
And, unless you eat a balanced diet, it could cause imbalances like these:
- Your body will become alert because you are limiting food too much and causing an increase in the hunger hormone, leptin. That is, you will be hungrier.
- It will cause you to lose muscle mass and you could end up flabby.
- The energy can go to the ground.
- Your menstrual cycles could become irregular. And if poorly practiced fasting is prolonged, it can reduce the size of the ovaries.
- There are cases of hormonal imbalances that have interfered with fertility.
- If you suffer from eating disorders such as anorexia or bulimia, they could reappear or worsen.
Supplements to avoid overeating during the feeding window
A few weeks ago we published a post calledHow to break the fast in a tasty way according to your goal . If you have not read it, I recommend that you do so because it teaches you the ideal foods for that peak moment when you finish fasting, because they satisfy you and do not cause discomfort.
Well, it turns out that protein powder supplements are usually great companions, which do not complicate your life much because they are made in seconds and provide your body with a good load of this macronutrient, which is the one that keeps you most satisfied.
At Evolution Advance we know that not all women have the same goal: some want to get rid of several extra pounds; Others want to have firm and sexy muscles, while avoiding the accumulation of fat in certain areas.
That's why we created a protein powder for every need.
- Fit & Slim: it is perfect if you want to lose a few pounds, because it helps reduce cravings for sweets during the day, and it also contains glucomannan, a fiber that expands in the stomach so that less food fits in it.
It also provides all the amino acids that your muscles need and thanks to the digestive enzymes it contains, it is not heavy on the stomach.
- Fit&Strong : is a new generation of protein powder that offers 25 grams of protein with high biological value. It is optimized whey protein with all essential amino acids and BCAA's. Build muscles for 7 hours!
If you like variety, you can also use both proteins to cook mouth-watering desserts without going overboard on calories.
It requires a balanced state of mind and knowing how to start intermittent fasting to enjoy and benefit from it. And it is common for us to fall into emotional hunger and cravings that are stimulated by hormones.
Stress, anxiety, sadness, intense joy or even boredom can push us to eat the entire refrigerator. And if you get carried away during your fast, you may break it prematurely or waste the hours invested by overeating in the feeding window.
Janet Garces believes that a good strategy is to find distractions so you don't give in to temptations and large plates of food. Also, before taking a bite of some sinful food, ask yourself why you have that urge to eat.
By doing so, intermittent fasting can greatly improve your relationship with food.