Fluid retention in menopause: how to combat it
Until very recently, clothes were adapted to your body. But since you're in the middle of menopause your zippers won't go up, the buttons threaten to fly off and/or you have trouble putting on your rings and shoes .
In this natural stage of women it is usual to feel more swollen, gain weight for no reason or have a feeling of heaviness , because you retain more fluids.
Don't let that affect your quality of life. Better, follow these healthy guidelines to combat it.
Why fluid retention in menopause?
Fluid retention in the climacteric is one of the most annoying signs, in addition to hot flashes, chills, night sweats, sleep problems, to avoid constipation and mood swings.
You can notice it on wrists, ankles, abdomen and face. You may also feel that you have suddenly gained weight, more heaviness and fatigue.
If you have cellulite on your legs, this may interest you: Is it possible to reduce cellulite and improve the appearance of the legs?
The cause of these discomforts is the lack of control of female hormones , because over the years the ovaries do not produce enough estrogen and progesterone.
- The increase in estrogen affects kidney function, so there is an imbalance of water and salt that causes swelling and fluid retention.
- Progesterone acts as a natural diuretic that relieves excess fluids. But when estrogen levels are much higher than progesterone levels, it can cause you to retain water.
You should be aware that it can get worse if you are sedentary , eat poorly, consume excess salt, are stressed or do not hydrate with enough water.
How can you fight it?
This is not bad to die for, although it is very annoying. For that, we give you some guidelines to prevent fluid retention in menopause.
- Drink more water than usual. It sounds counterintuitive, but drinking 1.5 to 2 liters of water helps flush out trapped fluids in your body. You can also opt for diuretic infusions of ginger, horsetail, hibiscus or green tea.
- Reduce the consumption of common salt. When you eat a lot of it, sodium spikes, causing water to move out of cells and into the body. Avoid salty meals and snacks, preserves, sausages, canned goods, cheeses and salty fish, pre-cooked foods, among others. A good substitute for salt is aromatic herbs.
- Exercise daily . You can dance, do yoga, walk at a good pace for 30 minutes. Jumping on the jump rope or on a trampoline will help you a lot to drain fluids.
- Avoid sedentary lifestyle. Don't squash yourself in front of your computer or TV for long hours. Get up every hour and do little stretching exercises or just walk around the office or home to loosen up your muscles.
- Avoid very tight clothing , because they obstruct your circulation and make it difficult to properly expel body fluids.
- Sleep at least 8 hours. Resting well prevents fluid retention.
- Maintain a balanced diet where you include these foods :
- Cucumber, melon, pineapple, strawberries, tangerines, celery and watermelon because they have a lot of water.
- Tomato has diuretic properties.
- Artichokes are rich in fiber and potassium, and asparagus in water and fiber.
- Cabbage is high in water and potassium, thus exerting a diuretic function.
- Eggplant prevents the accumulation of water.
- Consume the recommended daily protein so that your body produces albumin and avoid retaining fluid in your body.
Supplements to eliminate liquids
Looking for alternatives for the well-being of thousands of women who are going through perimenopause and menopause, we created a natural solution that you will love.
Not only will it help you eliminate fluids naturally, but you will have the additional benefit of losing fat. And that translates into improving overweight, swelling and cellulite
The Less Fat, Less Water Combo contains natural ingredients with diuretic properties so you can:
✓ Release retained fluids in your body that accentuate cellulite.
✓ Improve swelling in extremities, face and abdomen .
✓ Eliminate toxins that don't let you lose weight.
✓ Say goodbye to the fatties installed in your problem areas.
✓ Prevent fat from accumulating again after losing weight.
✓ Protect your muscle mass for a body without flaccidity.
Important: These tips do not replace the advice of a doctor. If diseases and discomforts are always present and reduce your quality of life, consult a specialist.