Habits are not our destiny. They can be changed, ignored or replaced. And today I want to talk to you about how to turn your life around, just by transforming your habits.
And today I want to start by telling you...
Laura is a very dear patient who one day appeared in my office because she was trying to change her lifestyle. She wanted to learn to have healthy habits to improve her health and quality of life because she had gained weight for some time and felt very tired all the time.
Identify what you want to change
The first thing I told Laura was that she had to identify for herself the habits she wanted to change. Thus, he told me that he wanted to abandon the bad habit of not eating breakfast, not exercising, not drinking water, always going to bed late, and he also wanted to stop his addiction to soft drinks.
After telling me everything she wanted to change in her, she burst into tears and told me: “Klarita, but this is very difficult for me, no matter how hard I try, I fall back into the same old routine over and over again. to my original routine."
If it happens to you like Laura, it is important that you start...
Set specific, realistic goals, in positive and present tense:
One of the things I immediately detected in Laura's words is that she was wanting to make many changes at once in her life routine, she had stated everything in a negative way and she was not being specific with what she wanted to achieve. So I recommended that you rethink a list of goals and turn it into goals that are as specific as possible and that we go one by one, and not all at once, for example:
- Instead of saying “I must abandon the bad habit of not eating breakfast,” it is better to say “I have breakfast every day in a healthy way.” Do you see how it sounds different?
Create your action plan
Now, in order to be more specific we have to ask ourselves: What does it mean to have a healthy breakfast and create our action plan?
- Incorporate proteins such as eggs, turkey, chicken or tuna.
- Eat more vegetables such as tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, alfalfa.
- Eliminate fried foods or bad fats and choose healthy fats such as avocado or olive oil.
- Reduce the consumption of sugar or simple carbohydrates and prefer complex carbohydrates such as whole wheat bread, corn flour with fiber, cassava, sweet potato or sweet potato, among other complex carbohydrates.
It is even important in this case that you make a menu for each day, define the quantities and the time at which you will have breakfast daily. The idea is that you consider that new habit that you want to acquire in the most specific way possible.
And focus on the positive
If you want to change a habit, focus on the positive side of things. Don't think about how difficult it will be to get up early to prepare breakfast. Think about how good you will feel leaving your house with a good breakfast and the great benefits this will have for your health and your body. It really is different! Because in addition to being healthy, this small change in habit will help you see yourself much better in the mirror and will give you more energy to face your day.
In summary, to incorporate new healthy habits into our lives it is necessary:
- Identify the new habit we want to acquire.
- Finding our motivation… Our why?
- Set specific, realistic goals, in positive terms and in the present tense.
- Create our own Action Plan.
- Focus on the positive.
- Celebrate every achievement we achieve.
By following these 6 simple steps to the letter, I am sure that you will be able to transform your life by incorporating healthy habits into it and you will also achieve any goal you set for yourself.
Now I would love for you to tell me, if you were encouraged to transform your habits today, what new healthy habit would it be and how do you think you could do it by following these 6 simple steps that I just proposed?