Do you feel the swollen abdomen, fuller than normal? So much so that not even your favorite pants close you.
The truth is that having a swollen belly is unpleasant, uncomfortable and sometimes painful, which may be due to multiple factors that must be taken into account.
I invite you to continue reading this post if you want to know the causes of a swollen abdomen and its possible solutions.
What is bloating or abdominal distension?
Abdominal bloating is a feeling of pressure or tension in the abdomen that occurs when the gastrointestinal tract is filled with air or gas.
It feels as if the stomach has expanded and stretched, which can be uncomfortable; it can also become hard and deformed, due to various causes.
The swelling is often accompanied by:
- Acute abdominal pain.
- Frequent belching.
- Abdominal noises or gurgling.
- Excess gas (flatulence).
- Intense urge to defecate.
Causes why you could have a swollen abdomen
No need to worry; bloating can be a temporary stomach symptom. However, if the inflammation is frequent, it may indicate a dietary problem or perhaps be the sign of a more serious condition.
Some causes of this so repeated evil in women are:
gases and air
They are the most common cause of a swollen abdomen, especially after eating.
Gas begins to build up in the digestive tract when undigested food breaks down or simply when air is swallowed.
We all swallow air when we eat or drink, but some people may swallow more than others because of:
- Eating/drinking too much or too fast.
- Overindulge in junk food.
- Wearing loose dentures.
- Chew gum.
Other medical conditions that can cause a swollen abdomen are:
- Food intolerance.
- Weight gain or obesity.
- Hormonal flow (especially for women).
- Intestinal parasite infection.
- Eating disorders such as anorexia or bulimia nervosa.
- Mental health factors like stress, anxiety, depression and more.
- Some medications.
- Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Inflammatory bowel disease, such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease .
- Other functional gastrointestinal disorders.
- Celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
Solutions to avoid or reduce the swollen abdomen
Quick fixes are not always effective for some causes of swelling.
However, people who have frequent inflammation and lifestyle changes can address its causes and reduce it over time.
Follow a varied and balanced diet
Include fruits and vegetables in your diet. It is important to chew slowly and drink plenty of water, preferably still, which facilitates bowel regularity.
Also, avoid foods like sprouts, dried beans, and lentils.
Depending on the cause of the bloating, there are various foods and supplements that can help prevent or reduce it.
The fiber in plant foods is essential for regular bowel movements and preventing constipation, which can cause bloating.
Some people have a sensitivity to foods that contain fiber, which can cause bloating. Therefore, choose carefully which fibrous foods to eat.
Some of those that contain healthy fiber are: lettuce, carrots, chives, cucumber, fennel, eggplant, celery, bean sprouts, blueberries, green bananas, zucchini, baby spinach, strawberries, pineapple, grapes, oranges, kiwi, quinoa, and rice. comprehensive, among others.
They are useful because they reduce the production of intestinal gas, restore the balance of the bacterial flora, promote cell division of the colon walls, reduce bacterial fermentation of food, and reduce gastrointestinal hypermotility .
They are present in certain foods and supplements that help alleviate the annoying symptoms of a bloated belly, irritable bowel syndrome, and other inflammatory conditions.
And it is that they are "good" bacteria that restore an adequate balance of the intestinal flora by counteracting the action of germs and bacteria that attack its lining.
Evolution Advance has two effective and natural supplement options to help improve abdominal bloating.
One is Good Bacteria , which provides 30 trillion good microorganisms that help strengthen the immune system and keep the digestive system healthy. In addition, it contains DE111™, a probiotic that has been clinically shown to maintain the balance of the microbiota.
The other is Happy Poo , which contains a probiotic that protects against the discomfort caused by the use of antibiotics and improves stomach health.
digestive enzyme supplements
Certain over-the-counter products can help with bloating , such as supplemental enzymes that can help break down indigestible carbohydrates such as:
- Lactase: Enzyme that breaks down lactose; It is useful for people with lactose intolerance.
- Beano: Contains the enzyme alpha-galactosidase, which can help break down indigestible carbohydrates in various foods.
Reduce emotional stress and lead a more relaxed life
Many people experience bloating as the first symptom of irritable bowel syndrome, gastritis, or colitis.
These are inflammatory diseases whose cause is not yet well defined, but which cause difficulty in digestion, heartburn and constipation alternating with diarrhea and bloating.
Well, many of them have an emotional and / or psychological basis. Not surprisingly, people affected by the problem are generally anxious, show tension, aggression or depression.
Go to the doctor
If your abdominal bloating is prolonged, severe, or you have other concerning symptoms such as diarrhea, constipation, weight loss, bleeding, or a family history of bowel cancer, Crohn's disease, or ulcerative colitis, it's important to see a gastroenterologist.
The doctor will take your history, perform a physical exam and lab tests. And, if necessary, he might advise a colonoscopy.
When bloating occurs immediately after a meal, it usually resolves on its own, but you can often speed up the process with:
- Ginger is a home remedy for many gastrointestinal complaints including indigestion, nausea and bloating, it has anti-inflammatory properties and can help regulate digestive processes. Take it in the form of tea.
- Going for a walk , as physical activity can cause the bowels to move more regularly, helping to release excess gas and stool.
- Apple cider vinegar can be mixed with a glass of warm water and taken once a day, early in the morning.
- Perform relaxing breathing exercises , yoga, and meditation to alleviate the symptoms of bloating.
- Massaging the abdomen can help the intestines move. A massage that follows the path of the large intestine is especially helpful.
- Take a warm bath, soak in and relax. The warmth of the bath can ease abdominal pain, relaxation can reduce stress levels, allowing the gastrointestinal tract to work more efficiently and bloating to reduce.
The abdomen is a part of the body that swells for various reasons, which worries women especially, because it looks bigger than normal; You may also feel tender or sore.
Try the recommendations that we offered you in this post, you could notice the improvement in less than you expect.
But, if the symptoms persist, visit a specialist to determine their causes and medical solutions.