You did the hardest thing: you lost the extra pounds you'd been struggling with for years. You bought new clothes, you felt like never before. But as if it were a Cinderella, in a short time the magic faded and you regained the lost weight.
Maintaining your ideal weight after making a low-calorie eating plan is a challenge. And there are those who gain up to twice the weight that is lowered again.
But the same does not have to happen to you, because we are going to offer you advice so that losing weight is sustainable throughout your life.
What is the rebound effect?
For anyone, it is frustrating to have lost a few pounds and then see how to recover the lost weight.
The rebound or yo-yo effect is called the fact of recovering the lost weight after losing weight, either after dieting or if you do not follow it strictly.
There are three factors that can bring back those pounds that you thought you had lost:
- You went on a restrictive diet: Excessive caloric restriction slows metabolism, affects hormones making you want to eat a lot.
- The wrong mindset: If you think of dieting as a shortcut to losing weight, rather than A CHANGE OF HABITS to improve your health, you're more likely to eventually give up and regain what you lost.
- Unsustainable habits: many plans to lose weight are based on motivation and willpower and not on habits that you can incorporate into your day to day. But unfortunately, motivation and willpower are not stable over time.
Strategies to not regain lost weight
Remember that you have a responsibility to your body and your health. Therefore, developing healthy behaviors and habits will ensure lasting success over time.
- Maintain a healthy and realistic eating pattern
- Schedule your weekly menus and buy your food consciously; opt for natural and seasonal ones such as fruits, vegetables and greens.
- If you are going to buy a processed food, check the ingredients and calories.
- Limit portion sizes.
- Try to eat in a relaxed environment, chew slowly and enjoy your food.
- Respect the schedule of your meals.
- Drink water instead of soft drinks or fruit juices to hydrate and quench thirst.
- If you opt for other drinks, choose infusions and coffee without sugar.
- In a commitment or social outing, try to consume drinks with low alcoholic content.
- If you can't live without eating bread, try to make it whole wheat and limit the ration to 40 g per day.
- Change dessert for a serving of seasonal fruit or a sweet made with filling ingredients. Here we give you some recipe ideas that are prepared with protein powders.
2. Maintain your eating patterns on weekends, holidays, and special occasions. If you plan, it will be easier for you to have healthy foods for those moments.
3. Practice physical activity, at least 30 minutes a day, even if it's just walking. But move!
4. Take care of your sleep and try to make it quality. Sleeping straight for 7-8 hours will make a big difference in your body, your energy, your health and your mood.
5. Keep a diary where you write down your diet and your physical activity. This way you will track your progress and identify your trends. For example, you may notice that your weight increases during periods when you work overtime.
6. Monitor your weight and measurements regularly to plan and adjust your habits. At the slightest deviation you can quickly correct the increase in new kilos.
7. Try to identify if you're eating for emotions: stress, depression, sadness, joy, euphoria because you could overeat. It can also happen to you at celebrations or when you go out to eat with friends.
8. Seek support from family, friends, and others to keep you motivated and focused. They will make it easier for you to overcome obstacles.
9. Lean on a nutrition professional to guide you and give you advice tailored to you.
10. Help yourself with protein supplements like Fit & Slim to control anxiety about eating and avoid flaccidity when you gain and lose weight quickly.
Here we told you the ways to recover the lost weight, keep them in mind.
Remember that achieving and maintaining your ideal weight will have lifelong health benefits. Of course, you too can lose weight and never gain it back.
If you fall back into your old habits, that doesn't mean all is lost. Just start over and focus on your habits to get back on track.