If you are looking for solutions to lose stubborn pounds and make the clothes you love look the way you want, you have surely come across the term calorie deficit.
When you hear it for the first time it may sound complicated. But the truth is that it is the simplest way to lose weight and long-term measures.
Of course, you must apply it in the correct way or you will end up weak, sagging or gaining more pounds than you lose... Ready to learn everything about calorie deficit?
What is calorie deficit?
If you're wondering what a calorie deficit is, very simple: it means reducing the calories that enter your body when you eat or drink.
It turns out that calories are substances that provide energy to the body. And every day, we need a certain amount of them for our organs to function and to carry out our daily activities.
It happens that when we eat more calories than we expend (because we are sedentary or overeat), the numbers on the scale and tape measure increase.
That is why we must reduce the amount of food and drinks we eat, as well as choose healthier options with fewer calories, so that you achieve your goal.
Tips for achieving an efficient calorie deficit
- Don't get obsessed with counting calories
To make a calorie deficit you should not count the calories in every bite you eat.
Not only because it is ineffective, but it can cause anxiety and frustration, not “meet” the goal you set for yourself.
Don't leave out any micro or macronutrients
- Proteins: they will be your best allies because they are the most satiating macronutrient. Ideal if you consume between 1.8 and 2 gr. of protein for every kilo of weight so you don't lose muscle mass along the way. Prefers those with high biological value such as meat, fish, milk or eggs. Find out everything about proteins in this article .
- Carbohydrates: a common mistake that can cost you dearly is eliminating carbohydrates. Remember that they are your first source of energy, they help recover muscles after exercise and, as they fill you up quickly, they can prevent cravings for sweets and fried foods in the middle of the afternoon. In this post you can learn which ones to choose.
- Fats: Many think that the more you eat fat, the more fat deposits you accumulate. But choosing the right ones makes it easier to lose weight and centimeters. And they are necessary to absorb vitamins and minerals that help you feel satisfied. In the post Eat fat to lose fat? We explain everything to you.
- Fruits and vegetables : in addition to all the vitamins they provide for health, hair, nails and more, this group of foods offers satiety and energy. And since they contain fiber, they add volume to the diet so you will feel less hungry while you nourish yourself.
6 recommendations so that your low-calorie diet is not a trauma
- Consider it a lifestyle: take advantage of the calorie deficit to change your eating habits. If you lose weight and abandon your healthy diet, you run the risk of gaining the weight you lost, even more.
- Rely on a doctor or nutritionist: here we are offering you general recommendations, but each body is different. To adapt your calorie deficit to your age, lifestyle, physical condition and health, an expert on the subject will be your best ally.
- Clean your refrigerator and pantry: creating a calorie deficit requires willpower. Therefore, you should keep sugary cereals, fried snacks, sugary drinks and frozen foods at a distance. If you fall into their clutches outside the home, don't beat yourself up, but don't make it a rule. For that, not having them in sight will help you a lot.
- Pay attention to what you feel: many times we eat because of stress, boredom, sadness or excess of joy. Therefore, before taking a big bite of a cake or a churro, think about why you are doing it. That will make you more aware of what you eat.
- Do exercises: activating your body is essential to burn calories. But it's not about spending hours in a gym or jogging 100 laps around the park. If you are sedentary, go easy. Choose an activity that you enjoy and practice it 30 minutes a day to start seeing changes in your figure and even in your mood.
- Sleep 7 to 8 hours a day: did you know that poor sleep can make it difficult for you to lose weight and cause you to accumulate fat? If you find it difficult to fall asleep for a long time, try the most basic tips: stay away from electronic devices two hours before bedtime, take a hot shower, avoid annoying noises, have a light dinner and look for activities that relax you.
You already know what a caloric deficit is and how to apply it appropriately. When you start?