Losing fat and gaining muscle mass at the same time is one of the purposes for countless people. But many have no idea where to start. I can assure you that it is advisable to combine healthy lifestyle habits with a healthy and balanced eating plan that includes diets to burn fat .
Eight out of 10 people who go on a diet to lose weight fail. And although it is believed that the main reason is a lack of will, there are other causes, such as nutritional misinformation that leads them to make ineffective fat burning diets on their own.
Here I will give you some keys so that you know how to recognize the foods that can help you burn fat and lose those extra kilos.
Are there fat burning foods?
The truth is NO, but scientific studies show that certain foods help burn body fat . The characteristic of the so-called "fat burning foods" is that they are concentrated in nutrients, low in calories and rich in antioxidants that produce great satiety when consumed.
Thus, you avoid the temptation of carbohydrates, sweets or snacks, consequently helping to regulate cholesterol, triglycerides, insulin, sugar.
These types of foods are also known as negative calorie foods. This is because they require more energy to digest than they contain.
But be careful, this type of food does not have magical properties. In the best of cases, they help burn more calories than they provide, as long as you exercise and your diet is healthy and balanced.
How do foods that help lose fat work?
They work by oxidizing excess calories that are stored in the body as fat.
The process is simple: body temperature and rhythm increase, forcing the body to regulate its temperature. By doing this, you will burn fat by expending energy. The general metabolism is therefore stimulated and fats are burned.
Benefits of foods that benefit fat loss
What are the foods that promote fat loss?
Among those that are considered fat-burning foods we have the following:
Fruits and vegetables
- Tomatoes: contain 9-oxo-ODA, a component that activates DNA to burn more fat.
- Vegetables : Brussels sprouts, broccoli, broccoli sprouts, cauliflower, kale, Savoy cabbage, and purple cabbage all contain the phytonutrient sulforaphane, which stimulates fat-burning enzymes.
- Hot peppers: Jalapeños or habaneros help burn fat indirectly, due to a component called capsaicin, which is responsible for increasing body temperature, speeding up metabolism and the fat loss process.
- Apples: They are full of flavonoids and healthy fibers, especially pectin that breaks down slowly and increases feelings of satiety.
- Cucumbers: Contains flavonoids that reduce swelling. And their high water content (96%) makes them a great option for burning fat.
- Lettuce : contains minerals such as iron and magnesium that promote fat oxidation. In addition, it satisfies hunger and contains very few calories .
- Citrus (lemons and oranges): contain a high content of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) that increases the speed of burning fat and actively participates in the detoxifying process of the liver, increasing its ability to digest and burn fat more quickly.
- Spinach: Increase metabolism, promote fat burning and keep bad cholesterol at bay.
- Forest fruits : they contain fiber and pectin that satisfy hunger for longer. However, its consumption should not be abused; a handful a day is enough.
- Broccoli: it has a high fiber content and provides vitamins and antioxidants.
- Avocado: It is rich in healthy and monounsaturated fats that help speed up metabolism, protecting energy-generating cells from free radical damage. And they prevent blood sugar spikes, avoiding the accumulation of fat.
- Blueberries: they are very effective in weight loss, because they directly attack excess fat. The nutrients found in this fruit help metabolize fatty acids and sugars.
- Nuts: rich in healthy fats, they speed up metabolism and are more satiating for longer. But do not overdo it, with a handful of almonds or walnuts it is enough.
- Quinoa: this ancient cereal contains high-quality protein and is a complete source of amino acids, ideal for building muscle and burning fat.
- Flaxseeds: contain a compound called lignans that is a powerful fat burner. Also, essential fatty acids that increase metabolism and lower bad cholesterol levels in our body. The seeds can be ground and sprinkled on different foods, such as salads, cereals or yogurts.
- Lentils: they are high in fiber and protein. They keep blood sugar levels stable because they allow carbohydrates to be processed more efficiently.
- Brown rice: it is a slow-absorbing carbohydrate with a low glycemic index (GI). It differs from processed cereals because it does not cause hyperglycemia, making it ideal for losing fat. Plus, it contains fiber that helps you feel fuller for hours.
- Fish (with Omega 3): They are a great source of protein and healthy Omega-3 fat. Research from the British Journal of Nutrition found that omega-3 fatty acids reduce fat levels and allow you to feel fuller.
- Lean meat: it is characterized by having a high thermogenic effect, which helps to burn up to 30% more calories, only during digestion. Turkey, chicken or lean beef breasts are recommended.
- Eggs: it is rich in choline, a nutrient that has been shown to participate in the deactivation of the genes responsible for the storage of abdominal fat.
spices and chocolate
- Garlic: helps to lose weight and remove excess fat from the body, thanks to a component called allicin.
- Black pepper : It is one of the most widely used spices in the world. It contains piperine, a compound that causes thermogenesis, that is, it increases the body's temperature, helping to burn fat more quickly.
- Cinnamon: helps regulate blood glucose levels. And, in addition to making you feel more energetic, it helps you to be more satisfied and avoid anxiety about eating.
- Chocolate: Helps burn fat, as long as it has a high cocoa content. Dark chocolate helps prevent the accumulation of fat cells in the body, thanks to the action of natural antioxidants.
Oils and vinegars
- Apple cider vinegar: it is a food rich in acetic acid. Scientific studies have shown that acidic foods increase the speed of burning fat by up to 40%. Apple cider vinegar carries out this process. A study published in the Journal of Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry showed that those who ate this food burned more fat over a 12-week period.
- Coconut oil: although it is rich in fatty acids, it is excellent for losing body fat, since the medium chain fatty acids that make it up are not converted into glucose, but are metabolized directly as energy in the liver. Without affecting glycemia or blood sugar.
- Olive oil: although it seems like a contradiction, by eating foods rich in healthy fats such as olive oil, the body eliminates white fat and replaces it with brown fat, a type of body fat that helps burn more calories because it is the one that It is responsible for maintaining body temperature.
Beverages and dairy
- Red wine: contains abundant resveratrol, an antioxidant found in the skin of grapes and inhibits the production of fat cells. Also, the calcium pyruvate found in red wine helps burn them.
- Green tea: contains a large amount of the antioxidant ECGC, which helps burn fat and prevents its formation. According to a study published in the Journal of Nutrition , research participants who trained for 25 minutes a day and consumed green tea lost more fat than those who did not consume the infusion
- Coffee: source of caffeine, whose consumption increases metabolism and promotes lipolysis, which means that it helps burn different types of fat.
- Water: it is essential for life and is ideal for losing fat. If you are going to practice physical exercise, obviously you are going to need to be hydrated. But water is a good time to feel full and burn those extra calories.
- Dairy such as yogurt and cheese: they are rich in calcium, one of the substances that burns the most body fat and prevents the formation of new fat.