Why you should use nutritional supplements, even if you maintain a balanced diet
"Today I don't feel like it", "my hair is falling out", "I feel exhausted and I don't know why", " how to avoid sagging when losing weight" .
The theory says that a balanced diet is enough to keep us healthy, energetic, long-lived and fit.
But the current lifestyle and a diet impoverished by factors that I will show you later, bring nutrient deficits that manifest as prolonged fatigue, hair loss, nail weakness, sadness, among others.
Do you have any of these symptoms? Perhaps your body is giving you an alert that you should attend to.
Therefore, I am going to help you determine if your diet is really balanced and how nutritional supplements can help you look and feel better.
What is a balanced diet and why do you need it?
Food is a set of processes that allows organisms to use and transform nutrients to stay alive and healthy.
You can say that yours is balanced if you include in your diet macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins and fats), micronutrients (minerals and vitamins), as well as water to satisfy your physiological requirements.
But you must consume them in the right proportions:
- Carbohydrates (carbohydrates) 40-50%. Most should come from whole grains, fruits, legumes and vegetables.
- Proteins 20 to 25%. Maintaining a balance between animal sources (meat, fish, eggs) and vegetables (legumes, cereals, nuts).
- Fats (lipids) 30-35% . Olive oil is recommended for its content in monounsaturated fatty acids, also omega-6 and omega-3.
If you distribute your meals like this, you will avoid overweight, obesity and you will reduce the risk of chronic degenerative diseases such as type 2 diabetes, high levels of triglycerides and cholesterol, cardio or cerebrovascular diseases.
In addition, you will stay in line and your physical and mental performance will increase.
Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are
Towards the end of the year 1700, the author of the first treatise on gastronomy and philosopher Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin used this phrase to refer to the impact that their diet has on a person.
Several centuries later, it is more relevant than ever, despite the fact that habits have radically changed and so much emphasis has been placed on the benefits of eating healthy and the harmful effects of junk food.
Still many people are not aware that their food, diet and nutrition are too important to prevent diseases, even before birth.
And in this way they are choosing foods several times a day that condition their state of health, for better or for worse.
In emerging countries, iron, iodine or vitamin A deficiencies affect a large part of the population.
In the developed countries, the so-called diseases of abundance or chronic-degenerative diseases such as obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, arterial hypertension, osteoporosis and some types of cancer prevail.
Well, in all of them, food and its components (nutrients or non-nutrients) may be involved as risk or protection factors.
Does it seem like a hopeless scenario to you? Better focus on the other side of the coin: unlike other factors such as genetics, you can prevent or delay the onset of diseases just by changing your eating habits.
And if your body requires it, you have the resource of supplementation at hand.
What is a nutritional supplement?
Also known as food supplements, they are preparations that contain one or several nutrients that help maintain a correct nutritional status.
They come in various forms: capsules, tablets, powders, gelcaps, liquids, and beads.
They are consumed to complement a healthy diet, not to replace it.
They are not medicines nor can they be used as such. So be careful not to fall for deceptive offers, because they do not eliminate symptoms or cure diseases.
Not surprisingly, countries apply regulations and ensure that manufacturers do not make false claims that threaten the health and integrity of consumers.
There are also people who put themselves at risk, consuming higher than recommended doses because they believe that they will work better that way.
In many cases, these excesses end up being excreted as compounds that are particularly damaging to the liver, along with other unpleasant side effects.
Who needs to take supplements ?
If our diet were perfect, it should not be necessary to take any type of supplementation.
Unfortunately, intensive agriculture has caused soil depletion, harvesting before ripening, and losses in the nutritional concentration of food during transportation, storage, processing, and cooking.
It also impacts the toxicity of pesticides and pesticides that are added to crops to protect them.
How do nutritional supplements act in the face of this reality? Basically, on three levels:
- They prevent and correct the lack of some nutrient due to organic causes or diseases.
- They help to reach optimal levels of certain nutrients when, for many reasons, a balanced diet is insufficient.
- They provide cells with substances that they do not require a priori , but that alter their behavior to obtain better performance in various areas of your life.
- They improve your body composition helping you achieve goals such as avoiding flaccidity when losing weight.
Sometimes it is necessary to complement each other for specific periods.
But it is necessary to use them indefinitely or for a long time, in cases of:
- You do not eat well or consume fewer calories than you need.
- You are 50 years old or older.
- You are trying to get pregnant, you already are, or you are breastfeeding.
- You have heavy menstrual periods.
- You've already gone through menopause.
- You are on a vegetarian, vegan, or other diet that restricts an entire food group.
- You don't eat two to three servings of fish per week, which provide omega-3 fatty acids to support heart health.
- You've had gastric bypass surgery to lose weight.
- You suffer from diseases of the liver, pancreas or gallbladder.
- You have digestive health problems such as gastrointestinal diseases, lactose intolerance or food allergies.
- If you want to achieve how to avoid sagging when losing weight.
Doctors and nutritionists have shown that taking the right supplement, in the right dose, can do wonders for you.
Just as they already do for millions of people in the world who use them to achieve their body goals faster and give their health extra protection.
Of course, in case you have any medical condition you must be responsible and consult a specialist before starting to use them. And you must never forget: a food supplement does not counteract an unhealthy lifestyle and poor nutrition.